Tuesday 13 August 2013

Live blogging from the 75th Annual Fictional Science Conference, Part 5

Note: The penultimate post from a conference that at first hoped to break new ground, but ended up just patching up a bit of worn grass.

13 August 2013

After supper, a crowd of us including my former undergrad professor left the restaurant and meandered on an indirect route towards our hotel. Most preferred a three block detour to avoid a crowd of neo-Nazis stamping on a burning Scientific Society of America flag but my former professor was not to be deterred. Concerned that we would soon have to have his video camera surgically removed from his forehead, we tried to pull him back. After filming the hooligans, he invited them to the hotel to watch his videos of leaf cutting ants. Alerted by the concierge, the police arrived during a video of Himalayan monks harvesting bamboo and the thugs, by then thoroughly sedated, were easily overpowered.

Tomorrow is my talk. The powerpoint is already loaded onto the conference computer system, where it can be automatically corrupted or lost by the best technology society funds can afford. I am planning a high carb, high caffeine breakfast, hoping to make it through my talk before my blood sugar plunges through the floor, leaving me babbling and incoherent at the microphone. Not that anyone will notice, unless they happen to wake up.

1 comment:

  1. Your talk was great, despite the mismatched shoes. I did think you ought to have used more acronyms. It lends a certain gravitas.

    ReplyDelete