Wednesday 10 December 2014

Leaving the lab


The other day, I was going through old correspondence and found a few goodbye cards from labs I left behind. This was bitter sweet. Many of the remarks were the routine "Good luck with your future endeavours" kind of thing. Others were sincere expressions of good will and recollections of happy memories from people I knew as real friends. Some are still friends. Many I thought would be friends for life, but somehow they evaporated.

A truly odd card in the collection is one found in a parking lot decades ago, addressed to a person unknown to me. The picture is Santa Claus placing presents under the tree, with his butt crack showing. Missing inside are the usual affectionate messages; there are just signatures, written for a stranger. I don't know if the recipient deliberately tossed the card away in anger or disinterest because of its impersonal content, or whether it just slipped out of a pocket or briefcase into the snow. I always planned to send it anonymously to my former university roommate, whose sense of humour matched the tone, but he has also faded away.

My guess is that most scientists work in about ten different labs during their careers. We start out as undergrads, become grad students, then postdocs, junior researchers then senior researchers. There is usually some shifting around to different labs within the institution, more space, less space, upgraded facilities or closets with a one way door leading to the pasture. As we move from lab to lab, from situation to situation, we leave people behind. Sometimes it seems quite calculated, as if the work and our ambitions are more important than the relationships. 

Nevertheless, here we go...

Lab 1. Charismatic English professor, deeply introverted yet passionate perpetual post doc, one idealistic male and one feminist female grad student, intense undergrad having an affair with an older professor, and me a complete intruder, stealing time when the lab instruments are available...

Lab 2. One senior scientist and one junior scientist sharing an office, a grandfatherly lab technician doddering about, another sarcastic lab technician sceptical of it all, a delightfully happy technician who one summer has a miscarriage but the next summer a baby, students thrilled to be there, including me, working like a dog for the love of it...

Lab 3. Hierarchical thesis professor demanding respect, insecure lab technician afraid of computers, three grad students, one a gay activist who happens also to be a genius, another an obsessively happy heterosexual and then me, working late into the night and loving it...

Lab 4. A European institute that was much like an Institution, offices along hallways like a hotel, a dictator director ostracized in his office, a business like supervisor, covens of part time technicians, everyone married with adult lives, working nights and weekends out of obsession and a lack of a social life ...

Lab 5. Hypersocial group of beautiful young professionals and students in a pseudo industrial environment, led by a charismatic psychopath in a company run by dullards, a few undergrad students and term technicians desperate to hang onto their jobs, a 9-5 life of 5 day weeks..

Lab 6. A week in a lab in Japan before a conference, working 11-13 hours a day, but 5 or 6 tea breaks each day that arose spontaneously and lasted as long as they lasted, students from Venezuela and Korea and Africa sharing stories, then returning to the solitude of lab benches to continue work, beer and edame and yakitori instead of supper, then back to the lab again...

Lab 7. A growing lab with grants, temporary employees and summer students, a Russian volunteer trying to learn English without much success, a little society growing up around me but excluding me because I am the Boss ...

Lab 8. A mature lab with post docs and grad students and technicians and undergrad students, holding it all afloat with grants and more grants, no time at the bench anymore, my most intense relationship is with the computer...

Lab 9. The pasture door awaits...

I don't remember many of the events celebrating my departure from these labs, when I was presented with these goodbye cards. There are just little blips, incomplete, badly edited videos without sound. There was a party thrown by my house mates when I finished my masters, attended by their friends because I didn't have any of my own. And then, three years later, I said goodbye to the institute in Europe after finishing my PhD, trying to convey my gratitude, speaking the local language for the only time in public. On the goodbye cards, most touching were the fond, heartfelt messages from lab mates who I never realized held me with such affection or esteem. Their signatures and warmth remain on the cards, bringing back the memories of all those labs. In the social world of science, we blunder around bumping into people to their annoyance or delight, just as we do in the real world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment